Saturday, July 17, 2010

Seeing Red.


I am so excited about my garden this year. Dave built me a new garden box and I planted several herbs and vegetables. Hayden was also excited to help me plant everything. At preschool they were learning about growing food to eat. I couldn't think of a better hands on way of teaching Hayden. I am planning on doing some canning towards the end of summer. Although it will be a lot of work, it will be rewarding to have fresh produce and healthy canned food for storage. In Michigan it is easy to get excited at the slightest sign of Spring. I was so excited that I failed to realize that the area of my garden was just a wee bit shady. We have a ton of mature trees that pretty much shade most of the yard. Feeling a little concerned I decided to do some research. Several people have had success with their gardens that get about 4-6 hours of filtered light. Ok.... so maybe my vegetables will grow. Hayden and I have diligently been watching, pruning, and pampering our garden. It is like watching water boil when you are waiting for the first tomatoes to turn red. Well we are happy to announce that we are seeing red! Let the harvesting begin! Lesson learned: don't give up on something until you try it first. :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment